Medical Marijuana As An Effective Treatment for Crohn’s Disease
Cannabis has many documented health effects that may aid in the treatment of Crohn’s disease symptoms. Cannabis contains over 60 compounds, many of which have properties that can be applied in a medicinal capacity. Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) are two well-known compounds that have health benefits (CBD). THC is the psychoactive agent present in cannabis that causes mind-altering symptoms. CBD is also responsible for anti-anxiety, anti-pain, and anti-nausea effects.
Chron’s Symptoms Treated by Medical Marijuana
Some of the cannabis health benefits that address Crohn’s disease affects and symptoms include:
- Reducing inflammation through anti-inflammatory properties
- Providing pain relief through analgesic effects
- Lowering levels of anxiety
- Suppressing nausea and vomiting
- Increasing appetite
Researchers are also looking into the connection between cannabis and Crohn’s disease care. Numerous trials show that cannabis is an important treatment for Crohn’s disease symptoms. Three independent trials have shown promising findings for Crohn’s disease patients looking for potential therapies:
- Cannabis Alleviates Symptoms of Crohn’s Disease: O’Shaughnessy’s, a scientific journal, published a 2005 study, “Cannabis Alleviates Symptoms of Crohn’s Disease,”that reported that patients saw significant improvements with cannabis. The study examined 12 questionnaires completed by Crohn’s disease patients. The participants were asked about their experience using cannabis on an ad-lib basis (at their own leisure). They described improvements or changes to their signs and symptoms by rating them on a scale from zero to ten.
- Cannabis as a Treatment for Chronic Colonic Inflammation: In 2004, the Journal of Clinical Investigation published a study titled “The Endogenous Cannabinoid System Protects Against Colonic Inflammation.” It reported that medical marijuana is a powerful anti-inflammatory that “represents a promising therapeutic target for the treatment of intestinal disease conditions characterized by excessive inflammatory responses.”
- Cannabis Improves Disease Activity: In 2011, the Israel Medical Association Journal published a study conducted at the Meir Hospital and Kupat Holim Clinic. The study, “Treatment of Crohn’s Disease with Cannabis: An Observational Study,” examined 30 Crohn’s disease patients who consumed cannabis. All patients stated that they felt as though consuming cannabis decreased their disease activity. Twenty-one of the patients showed significant improvement in disease activity, including a reduction in symptoms and signs such as lowered frequency of bowel movements.
The research suggested many reasons for the change, including cannabinoids’ anti-inflammatory properties and the overall feeling of well-being that cannabis consumption offers.
Apply For Your Medical Marijuana Card Online Today!
Obtain a Med Card in your State
AlabamaAlaskaArizonaArkansasCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIllinoisKentuckyLouisianaMaineMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNevadaNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexcioNew YorkNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaOhioOklahomaOregonPennsylvaniaSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashington DCWashington StateWest Virginia
How to Get Medical Marijuana for Crohn’s Disease
Many states have approved the legal use of medical cannabis for Crohn’s disease as a pain management treatment. My Marijuana Card is here to help you figure out if medical marijuana is for you in your state.
Ways to Use Medical Marijuana for Crohn’s Disease
Crohn’s disease patients have a few options for using cannabis. These options include:
- Smoking: Smoking is the most common method of consuming cannabis. You can smoke it through rolled cigarettes or using a bong. There are pros and cons to smoking cannabis. It’s the quickest way to feel the effects, but they wear off relatively quickly.
- Edibles: Edibles are an increasingly popular cannabis consumption method, especially for patients who don’t enjoy the respiratory side effects of smoking. While ingesting marijuana takes longer to take effect, the effects last longer.
Best Strains of Marijuana for Crohn’s Disease
According to research, the Cannabis sativa plant has many advantages for Crohn’s disease patients. Cannabis sativa is a cannabis variety with a strong THC content. Some of the Cannabis sativa drugs that have been prescribed for the relief of Crohn’s disease symptoms include:
- Jean-Guy for abdominal pain
- Medicine Man for pain relief
- Hash Plant for inflammation
- Willie Nelson for stimulating appetite
- Lemon Jack for fatigue
Patients with Crohn’s disease should choose the right strain based on which symptoms they wish to monitor the most.
Side Effects of Marijuana for Crohn’s Disease
Both medical therapies, whether natural or synthetic, have the potential for side effects. The same may be said for cannabis and Crohn’s disease.
Crohn’s disease patients considering taking medical marijuana could experience these side effects:
Most of the time, though, medical marijuana side effects are temporary, non-life-threatening or serious, and go away on their own after some time.
Schedule a Consultation today!
Are you suffering from a debilitating medical condition, but don’t know if you qualify? Click Here to see if you may be eligible to obtain your own Medical Marijuana Card to treat your ailment with medical marijuana, which includes both THC and CBD products.
Click Here to learn more about what My Marijuana Card’s state-certified marijuana doctors can do for you, or give us a call at 877-783-1805, and our friendly patient coordinators will set an appointment and walk you through the process of receiving your own Medical Marijuana card. Get your Michigan marijuana card today online!