Medical Marijuana is now approved for use for patients in Mississippi! As per Initiative 65, effective November 4, 2020, the state of Mississippi authorizes the use of medical marijuana for patients with qualifying conditions and establishes the Medical Marijuana Control Program, effective August 2021. Here is everything you need to know for how to qualify, and be the first patient to access medical marijuana in the state of Mississippi.
What Conditions Qualify for Medical Marijuana in Mississippi?
There are 22 conditions that qualify for medical marijuana in Mississippi. Prospective medical marijuana patients must have one of the following conditions and receive their recommendation from a licensed physician.
- Epilepsy or Seizures
- PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder)
- Sickle-cell Anemia
- ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis-Lou Gehrig’s Disease)
- Severe Muscle Spasticity
- Chronic/debilitating pain
- Intractable Nausea
- Huntington’s Disease
- Agitation of dementia
- Spinal cord disease or severe injury
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Pain refractory to the appropriate management of opioids
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Crohn’s disease
- HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus)
- Autism (with self-injurious or aggressive behaviors)
- AIDS (Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome)
Patients must have a qualifying condition in order to receive their Mississippi medical marijuana card, but that’s not all. Patients also must meet the following requirements in addition to having a pre-existing qualifying medical condition.
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Patients under 18 years of age must have parental consent
- Hold an official written certification from a physician
- Be a Mississippi resident with proof of residency (Valid Mississippi driver’s license or state ID card
Since patients will not be able to receive their recommendation until the medical marijuana control program in Mississippi establishes the guidelines and rules for the program, patients can still pre-qualify. The Mississippi Medical Marijuana program is looking at August 2021 to begin registering patients for their medical cards, so that patients can access medical marijuana dispensaries in Mississippi.